Friday, January 30, 2009

Speak up...!!

I was on my way back from India. I was on a flight from Dubai to New York. I was not at all in mood, and all I wanted to do was to get into my seat, eat something and sleep. Off course it was economy class and I had two other people seating next to me. I paid no attention and tried to take some rest. After fruitless attempts, I tired to scribble some memories on my laptop. Needless to say, I shut it down within 15-20 minutes or so just to take out a book from my bag, flip through some pages and put it back.
Guy seating next to me was just trying to keep his eyes closed and remain silent. After a while I felt to begin conversation with him. Knowing how bad I am in starting conversations, I just kept thinking what should I say. I don't remember how exactly..but somehow we managed to start.

We asked each other where we are going in States....and what we do....and then where we are originally from.... etc.
I said..I am from Mumbai, India..and asked if he is from India too? He said No.. I am from Lahore, Pakistan..
I said...I have many friends who are from Pakistan doing their PhD in Physics at my university.

I don't know if it went well with him.

Straight away he asked me, "what do you feel about recent attacks on Mumbai".....

I didn't know how to answer. How I will feel when few terrorists hold my city for around three days, killing innocent people, top cops? and when the whole world is pointing to our neighbors for this shameful act.. what will I answer to someone from my neighboring country asking me how do I feel about that?

After couple of moments I said.. "tough question.. !!"

He said.. do you think it is we who did this? .. I said... yes...evidences are enough to say so.
"What did our government get by doing this?", he asked me expecting me to open up.
I don't know.. and only thing that I see is my people getting killed for no reason. Whoever has done it..people who were shot were Human beings..... I kept on talking about human values, terrorism, religion...

I saw he was having no effect...finally.... he said .. "we are facing the same...a month ago we had similar attacks in Lahore on one of the hotels....and no one blamed India for that..."

After remaining silent for sometime both of us, agreed on few things..

common man has nothing to do with terrorism
Governments, politicians, other big countries (??) are playing us in their hands..

what's more important is.. "we need to speak up...!!" People from both sides need to forget what's happened in the past and interact more often. How can we resolve something if we don't talk? we should not let new generation to grow up in the mindset full of hatred....

Eventually we stopped our conversation..may be I was too tired.. and was in completely different frame of mind..... but Things should really change beyond blame game.

No comments: