Is chemistry fun?...Do you love teaching? ..Did you get an A when you took orgo? ..
Questions...and probably no straight answers.. !!
It was first day of class teaching organic chemistry II.. I had totally new students..none from orgo I. All started well.. and students started doing their lab.. after a while I was just taking rounds.. and strangely...everyone seem to be much more comfortable with lab..nicely doing experiments..and surprisingly...very FEW QUESTION!!!!
I thought lab was too easy...but then I realized they have grown up with organic chemistry now.. and they actually know the experiment.. (or I have all good students!! :P)
I felt bored to just sit there and do nothing.. so I started talking to people...
One of them asked me.. so, you love teaching?...are you going to be a professor?
I mumbled for a while... I said...ya I love teaching.... it keeps me in touch with subject and most impotant..I remain in contact with students.. but then the question was, do I want to be a professor..
When you teach something for years and years.. you not only repeat the course content...but, you also tend to repeat the jokes... that is where teaching becomes boring!! Thats why I don't want to be teaching for my living...!!
I made these statements and within seconds I remembered my intoductory lab for the class.. After showing the most pathetic safety video (which I have seen unwillingly for more than 8-9 times) I had joked... "let's have a quiz on this video!!!" ... is it not the same joke I made probably fourth time???
This is just my second year of teaching... and repeatation so soon???? What am I doing?
2 comments:
I have a love/hate relationship with chemistry, but it depends on the course. I love quant and gen chem, think orgo is boring, and am pretty sure I will despise pchem with all my heart. But I'm glad to hear your class went well!
I can't believe you're insulting that classic video. The way that woman walks up to the fire exit sign and looks both ways...she deserves an Oscar for that performance! (I think I've seen it too many times too.) And I'm pretty sure I hated you when you told us we were having a quiz, haha. =)
ohh ya... Classic video..! and you actually remember it...!!!
Post a Comment