Sunday, May 6, 2012

The Cafe, Lazy Saturday and dreams..

This post is from my newly discovered cafe in downtown. It is a pleasant place with wi-fi access and good coffee, considering its location on Quail street. "The Hudson River Coffee House" has a old red bricks structure with abstract paintings on walls, few musical instruments in the corner and books ranging from Economics to Idiot's guide to Painless Home Repair. 

It is magical how your attitude and behavior changes, moment uncertainties in your life vanish. My incessant quest of "what next" seems to have come to an end. I have found my own answers. That means I can relax and become more lazy on weekends.

So what is it that has changed my mood? 

Well to all my well wishers here is the synopsis of my last few months which warrants to shape my future.

I was involved in the "student venture fund business plan competition" organized by RNA institute in collaboration with Thermo-Fisher Scientific and School of Business of University at Albany. We formed teams in the beginning of spring semester and went through a semester wide course on Entrepreneurship in school of business. During the course our team proposed a scientific idea and wrote a business plan based on it which we defended with a solid business presentation at the end of the course. 

Guess what?? Thermo Fisher recognized our efforts and awarded us with $50,000 seed investment and $15,000 in kind gift from school business for market research! 

What does it mean???                

Proudly designed logo!
Well it means, I am soon starting my idea based start up biotech company as university spin-off along with my proud team! 

However we have some business decisions to make. I am finishing my PhD this August so I will be available to work on next project starting September. However with the budget we have right now, company can not hire me full time but needs me desperately. So either I will have to work half time for company and find other half at some other place or somehow raise funds so that my company can afford me full time. 

Yes it fun.. and I can't believe it but it is true that I am creating my first job and crafting my own work profile.        
                              
Signing off for now.. 

AJ (Yes, that's the nickname which is stuck to me now and I am liking it :)) 



                              

No comments: