Every year around this time one ritual happens in my life! Tour of Albany! Parent's visiting for their kid's graduation!
I have enough friends that every year some one or the other is graduating and their proud families visit. Most of them receive their PhD degrees and hence one of the most proud moments for their families. I often cherish those moments with them, proudly take them around the city and give them my guided tour of downtown, river front, washington park, which often ends in an awesome dinner at Indian restaurant on central avenue, yes our very own Parivar!
They like my presence, happy face, jokes.. and I enjoy being with them and every second making a note to myself that one day my family will be here and I will take them around just like this one! I see my parent's face in them. I see my siblings in their's. I see myself taking that walk one day, in that proud regalia, receiving that degree from president.
The tour often ends after food in dropping off people to their respective places, saying bid adieus. Making more people happy and leaving more smiles behind.
The tour happened this year too. However, what happened after that is no less than a curse. The long drive back home (not more than five minutes), quietly removing the clown faces, taking off the layers of fake smiles, staring at the fire in my den......
Slowly the night slips in, I accept the script of the play and get ready for the ritual for the next year with new characters.
AJ
P.S.: This year is my graduation. I am receiving PhD. My family could not be here, because US consulate in Mumbai thought my parents are not eligible. I am not attending the graduation. I accept the script......
1 comment:
I'm sorry to hear your family can't come. But if you change your mind and come to graduation, there will still be plenty of friends around to celebrate with you :)
Post a Comment