Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Coincidence .... Really?


"I will join my brother in his factory work. There is life out there!!" explained the taxi driver when I asked him about his future plans.

I was in Baltimore last weekend and was going to meet few people and stay with them for a night before my flight next morning back to Albany. I was with a friend and we were actually going to meet her friends. Apparently, I did not know the people we were going to meet.

Let me give you a brief background before we continue.

I and my friend were in Washington DC with few of my other friends that weekend. We went there on Friday night, roamed around the DC on Saturday, and now here we are heading towards Baltimore on Sunday with my friend to meet her friends. As a consequence of a series of events, (which I may disclose latter on this blog in some separate posts) I was completely lost and frustrated with my life. Also there was a long lasting debate going on in my OWN mind about people staying here, and people planning to go back.

So here we are in a taxi heading towards downtown Baltimore. Moment I sat in, I saw a Punjabi news-paper next to the taxi driver. First question popped up in my mind to start the conversation (which I am generally bad at) was, "Aap Punjab se ho?" (Are you from Punjab?)

Let me remind you of the mood I was in. Before taking the taxi, I was in 'why the heck all this with me?' type of mindset. But the moment I started this conversation, like some magic in the movie, my mood changed. As if someone sent that taxi driver to relieve my pain.

His name was Sukhwinder, and after initial 'what you do' and 'where are you from' type of questions, I asked him if he stays with his family here? Taking a deep breath he said.. "No my family is back home.. I am just here on my own and I do not like here at all". I asked him, when was the last time he was in India. He said, "Baisakhi ke liye gaye the (I was there for Baisakhi..) and I generally go twice a year...!!!" I felt jealous...

I was stunned by his simple mathematics, he put in front of me. Here is what he said when I asked him about his future plans.

"I have been here for more than four years with Green card and driving taxi.. but my family is back home... and I don't like it here.. yahan man nahi lagata.. I have my citizenship next year, once that is done I will leave this country and go back home"

I was confused and asked him why he wants to leave when he will get his citizenship. His answer was one of the few confident answers I have ever listened. I was stunned by his composure.

"I will help my brother in opening new factory to make dyes back home and after all there is life out there. We are taking risk and if I have dual citizenship and nothing works out I can always come back. bas uparwale ki dua se sab thik ho jaye!!"

Within next few minutes our destination came, I paid the fare and we wished good luck to each other.
Little I knew that moment, how much this incidence was going to change me. As a next surprise, person whom I was meeting as a host happen to be my colleague from my previous college.
It was such a relief to meet someone so unexpectedly and specially at the time when you are completely lost and doubting your own capabilities.

Since then many things have changed. My self esteem which was so badly hurt is at least in the phase of recovery. Somewhere I have this feeling of satisfaction. Random mood swings are less common now.

Do you think it was just a coincidence to meet both these people at such a crucial moment? I still don't know why these two events have caused such an impact on me.. and don't know the rationale behind them.

I am just following the old philosophy again "things happen for reason.. and you need to find out why?"

No comments: