Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Never assume anything...


"Never assume anything in your life!!", said the old fellow, driving #12, CDTA bus. After taking a pause for couple of seconds he said, "that way you won't feel disappointed.. !!!!"

I was amazed by his simple philosophy. More than that, I was surprised by the timing when he made this remark. Specially, when I am really low and not able to comprehend many things happening around, in my life.

Let me tell you what happened.

I was in a bus, and was scheduled to meet one of my friend, to whom I was suppose to hand in his phone charger which I had borrowed a day before. So the deal was simple. I had asked him to board the bus at his stop, I will give him his phone charger, and he will get down at the next stop which is just a block away.

But when the bus arrived at his stop, I changed my mind and told the bus driver, who has seen me hundreds of time in a bus, and is kind of friendly, that I will give this charger to the guy standing at the bus stop and will get back into the bus again within seconds. I did that, and moments latter after starting the bus and resuming the journey, bus driver said where is my share? Laughing at his joke.. I showed him my college ID which we use to board the bus as an indication that here is my ticket for new journey.
"But I can not en cash that" he said laughing again at his own joke.. So I said.. "I knew you will allow me to do so".. and after a second, I corrected myself to be more polite and said "I assumed you will let me do that"

"Never assume anything in your life!!", said the old friend adding to it, "that way you will not feel disappointed"

What a clear philosophy!!

Did I assume too many things and hence did the mistakes?

1 comment:

SwaPPy said...

Probably!!
But I totally agree with the statement. Assumptions are neither wrong nor they are always right. It gets worse when assumptions turn into expectations, and when our expectations are not met, it leads to disappointment. Perhaps that's what the fellow implied.